Like so many people I had a lot of questions about certain things after surgery like when I could fly back to the UK. Because of this I decided to ask my surgeon all my questions and write down some notes because I struggled to find these answers online.
1. What is the recovery time?
- 2-3 nights in Hospital
- No driving for a week after surgery
- No heavy lifting for 2 weeks
- 2-4 weeks off work = No fly time.
2. Is the procedure key hole/laparoscopic?
- Yes, its laparoscopic
- 3-5 small incision points
- Minimal scaring
3. What are the goals for weightloss after surgery?
- 50% of excess weight; this equates to roughly 20-30kgs within the first 6-9mnths
4. Will I get reflux after surgery?
- 50% of patiennts will get reflux but there is medication that can help if this occurs.
I was most worried about the flight time because I have a contract that commences on the 3rd March so I would need to be ready and ok to fly on the 27th February. I am hoping like most patients, I recover quick enough to feel ok to fly.
Hopefully my recovery goes as the surgeon hopes.